Senior Agriculture Specialist
The Senior Agriculture Specialist will support in business development, concept note development, building client relationships, delivery of projects, team management, coaching and mentoring and other responsibilities.
Apart from generating business individually, will also be responsible for generating leads for large projects and to support Associate Directors and others senior team members, to jointly collaborate on large proposals and play an instrumental role in winning them.
- The Senior Agriculture specialist will be responsible for lead generation in agriculture sector management consulting, preparing detailed proposals and converting leads into business. A high success rate of over 30% to 40% is expected in converting leads to wins.
- He/she will be responsible for Leading business development in agriculture sector management consulting. Generating business through a mix of small and large projects.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the agriculture sector in India, and solution areas to improve the well-being of farmers and landless labor.
- Leverage sound understanding of the agriculture sector to propose innovative and transformation solutions to address challenges. These are likely to be in areas such as Digital Transformation; Value Chain Digitisation; Digital Payments; Improving access to farm inputs and market access and linkages; Access to more relevant financial products – credit, insurance, goal based and long-term savings and so on.
- Delivery responsibility on a range of Agriculture sector and related projects. These will include projects where the individual has not played any significant role in lead generation, proposal development and so on. These projects can be anywhere in Asia, Africa or the Pacific.
- The individual will be required to lead on these projects and independently manage them end to end. Based on the nature of the project, this can include programme and project management, team management, delivery management, financial and other analysis, report development and reviews. It will also include project administration such as contract management, invoicing, account receivables management and so on.
- A large number of projects will include field-based qualitative and quantitative research and studies. Given the nature of agriculture sector, the locations of field research will be rural areas, at times remote locations/villages with a population of 500 or 1,000 people.
- Mentoring and coaching of team members with limited experience in Agri sector consulting. Team members will have experience ranging from 2 to 10 years, in diverse consulting and operational areas, but not having any significant Agri sector experience.
- Undertake necessary people management activities – such as guiding and mentoring, issue resolution, performance management.
Qualifications and Competencies:-
Academic/ professional qualifications:
- Masters in Management from IIMs, with a specialization in agrisciences. And with an undergraduate/postgraduate degree in Agri sciences
- 8 to 15 years, with at least 5 years consulting experience in the agriculture sector.
Skills and competencies:-
- Proven experience in business development and management consulting in the agriculture sector in India.
- Proven track record of business development, particularly with large donors, multilateral institutions, and other funders, with high budgets and regular funding of Agri sector projects in India.
- Relationships at senior levels at the center/state ministries of agriculture (and associated departments, such as animal husbandry and dairy).
- Relationships with clients and donors with regular budgets and grants for agriculture-related consultancy and technical assistance work.
- Proven track record in the delivery of small, mid-sized and large management consulting projects.
- Delivery management experience will include technical aspects, people aspects and team management, client management aspects, project management, risk management, contract management, project administration and so on.
- Proven track record of managing a team of senior consultants with experience ranging from 2 to 10 years.
- Proven track record in client and stakeholder management as part of the execution of consulting projects.
- Highly creative and imaginative.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent report writing and presentation drafting skills.
- Excellent ability to analyse and synthesize data/information and present it using appropriate frameworks.
- Passionate and self-driven with the ability to work independently.
- Team player.
- Fluent in English and Hindi languages.