Agri Business Expert
MSC is implementing a long-term project with the Government of Bihar. The broad scope of the project
is to improve the ecosystem for agricultural marketing and value addition opportunities in Bihar.
The key focus areas of the project are: Agri-export policy; Revitalisation of agricultural markets in the
State; Price information system; electronic trading platform (including e-NAM); FPO policy, supporting
and promoting FPOs in the State; and Contract farming etc. The ideal candidate must have relevant consulting experience of working in and managing large complex multi stakeholder programs/projects. She/he should be passionate about doing innovative work in the field of agricultural development. Excellent analytical, writing, presentation and communication skills, and abilities to proactively engage and work with government officials is a must.
Should have prior work experience required with e-NAM; e-trading platforms, collateral management services, procurement handling in Agri-Business Companies, and similar. Should have experience of working in the Agri sector in Bihar will be an added advantage.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The individual will be responsible for providing consultancy services in the areas of agricultural and
horticulture marketing. It will entail development and implementation support for initiatives and
programs related to agricultural and horticultural marketing, with a focus on digital marketing policies,
platforms and services for various commodities.
The planning and implementation of programs and interventions will be done in collaboration with
stakeholders such as Directorates of Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Husbandry, District
Agriculture Officers, District Horticulture Officers, Agri Universities etc.
Strengthening of Agriculture Marketing Infrastructure and export promotion:
- Support in implementation of policies and schemes related to agri-export, market yard development, GoI farm acts etc.,
- Facilitate preparation of agri-export programs and plans, and support implementation to catalyze exports of Bihar specific commodities,
- To engage proactively with state and district level steering committee for scheme formulation for export promotion,
- Prepare a roadmap for development of export promotion and facilitation within the institutional framework of BAVAS,
- Proactively engage with stakeholders for modernization and development of market yards and Gramin (rural) Agricultural Markets (GrAMs),
- Proactively engage with the department to identify opportunities for leveraging finance for development of market yards and GrAM,
- Prepare related concept note/proposal/DPRs/RFPs related to development of physical markets and export enabling infrastructures etc.,
- Engage proactively with stakeholders to facilitate development of strategic and modern marketing infrastructures for national and international trade,
- To engage with stakeholders to enhance the provision of relevant technical and business
development ervices (BDS) to support growth of agriculture-based enterprise in market yards/GrAMs and identified export clusters
- Design and facilitate development of an integrated online portal for various stakeholders involved in agriculture exports for accessing updated information related to qualitative and quantitative barriers for export of agricultural commodities,
- Design and develop digital platforms to connect exporters with farmers/FPOs/processors for
- Facilitate development of digital platforms to avail benefits under various schemes related to export promotion and value addition,
- Facilitate establishment and operationalization of online rent collection platform for market yard assets,
- Facilitate creation and updating of digital database pertaining to market assets in all the 54 market yards,
- Coordination with BELTRON/Other technical agencies for facilitating e-auction/e-allotment of
- To prepare a digital database for tracking of production and process for identified key
commodities in various export clusters.
Stakeholders’ engagement and policy support:
- Continual engagement with stakeholders in agriculture export clusters for development of ecosystem for value-addition, food processing and diversification of exports,
- Proactively engage with APEDA and similar institutions for organizing Buyer- seller meet/exporters summit etc. for exporters from Middle East/EU/US,
- Proactively engage with the department in identifying opportunities to leverage finance for development of 54 market yards and GrAM,
- Prepare concept note/proposal to leverage funds from various funding agencies and proactively engage with stakeholders to facilitate development of enabling infrastructure for value addition and export promotion,
- Pro-actively identify the challenges and propose innovative solution in development of market ,yards,
- Pro-active recommendations/ suggestions for improving the marketing and value-addition ecosystem in the State of Bihar, from time to time.,
- Develop agri-export programs and plans, and support implementation to catalyze exports of commodities with GI tags and organic produce,
- Facilitate private sector engagement investments and partnerships in agri-processing and exports,
- Strengthen clusters and eco-system for value-addition, food processing and exports, benefitting
- Post-Graduate Degree in Agriculture, Agri-Business Management,Rural Management, Agriculture Engineering, M.Sc.Agriculture from premier colleges (IIM-ABM, MANAGE, IRMA, XIM-B or any other similar institutions.
Skills and expertise:
- Sound understanding of the agriculture sector in India and recent developments,
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in multiple agri value chain, with a focus on postharvest management, value-addition and marketing,
- Good understanding of agri and digital technology and emerging and innovative agri business models, including AgTechs and MSMEs, that are transforming agriculture and allied services,
- Analytical abilities to analyze government policies, programs and implementation strategies of government projects in agriculture,
- Proven experience working with government heads and senior bureaucrats.
- Excellent ability to work effectively with others in the team,
- Experience working with diverse teams,
- Experience of managing large teams and complex projects,
- Excellent client management, team management and leadership skills.
- Excellent ability to prepare documents, reports and presentations,
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.,
- Excellent oral communication in English,
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, particularly senior government officials.
Other Soft Skills
- Self-motivated and driven,
- Passion to work for rural / agribusiness development areas,
- Abilities and proven experience to work in unstructured / semi-structured environment.