Agri Marketing Consultant
MSC is implementing a long-term project with the Government of Bihar. The broad scope of the project
is to improve the ecosystem for agricultural marketing and value addition opportunities in Bihar.
The key focus areas of the project are: Agri-export policy; Revitalisation of agricultural markets in the
State; Price information system; electronic trading platform (including e-NAM); FPO policy, Supporting
and promoting FPOs in the State, and Contract farming, etc.
The ideal candidate must have relevant consulting experience of working in and managing large
complex multi-stakeholder programs/projects. S/he should be passionate about doing innovative work in
the field of agricultural development. Excellent analytical, writing, presentation, and communication
skills, and abilities to proactively engage and work with government officials are a must.
Should have prior work experience required with e-NAM; e-trading platforms, collateral management services, procurement handling in Agri-Business Companies, and similar. Should have experience of working in the Agri sector in Bihar will be an added advantage.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The individual will be responsible for providing consultancy services in the areas of agricultural and
horticulture marketing. It will entail the development and implementation support for initiatives and
programs related to agricultural and horticultural marketing, with a focus on digital marketing policies,
platforms, and services for various commodities.
The planning and implementation of programs and interventions will be done in collaboration with
stakeholders such as Directorates of Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Husbandry, District
Agriculture Officers, District Horticulture Officers, Agri Universities, etc.
Agri value chain assessment and development of marketing ecosystem:
- Identify opportunities for targeted marketing for key commodities in Bihar (commodities with strategic advantage) and facilitate tie-up/ entry of institutional buyers,
- Proactively undertake analytical studies/supply chain/value chain studies and prepare plans for commodity prioritization, identification of potential private players/target markets,
- Identify and attract lead local and national private sector companies interested to invest in the
value chain development in the state and facilitate promotion of such partnerships,
- Continual engagement with major stakeholders- farmers/FPOs, processors, exporters, agribusiness companies to understand challenges related to trade of select Agri/horticulture produce and facilitate the trade of agriculture and horticulture commodities produced in the state through tie-ups,
- Support in carrying out outreach activities, proportional activities for domestic and
international markets for Bihar specific products,
- Facilitate farmers groups/FPCs on undertaking trade on electronic trading platforms like NCDEX
and other similar platforms for commodity trading,
- Design effective IEC strategies such as workshops, public meetings, etc. in raising awareness to
farmers on the e-NAM scheme and its benefits,
- Providing pro-active recommendations/ suggestions for improving the marketing and valueaddition eco-system in the State of Bihar.
Digital initiatives – electronic trading platform & Market information System:
- Map the requirements of digital initiatives in the agri-marketing space; such as e-trading platforms and market information systems and understand the possible models for the adoption by the States,
- Develop and manage electronic database to continuously analyze updated market information
for Bihar specific commodities from Agri/horticulture sector,
- To support in setting up of necessary infrastructures and IT hardware & related infrastructure
etc in identified market yards for e-NAM rollouts,
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with agencies to provide value-added services like assaying, automatic grading & sorting, etc,
- System of quality assaying wherein no farmer is charged for the assaying services,
- Undertake the study of possible alternate models for e-trading of select agriculture commodities in the state and undertake small pilots to assess the feasibility of such models,
- Coordinate with Directorate of Marketing and Intelligence (DMI) and other stakeholders to start and strengthen the system for collection of price and arrival data through AGMARKNET,
- Continuous monitoring, supervision, and troubleshooting for data collection and uploading on AGMARKNET platform,
- Develop suitable systems for strengthening market information and intelligence systems for
both farmers and other stakeholders in partnership with the service provider agencies.
Stakeholders’ engagement and Policy support:
- Identification and mapping of all the relevant stakeholders and regular consultations with them with an objective of collaboration and convergence,
- Pro-active recommendations/ suggestions for improving the marketing and value-addition ecosystem in the State of Bihar, from time to time,
- Facilitate the conduct of Buyer-Seller meet with national and international buyers for prioritized agricultural commodities,
- To strengthen post-harvest agriculture finance systems in the state by liaising with financial service providers and warehouses (NCML/ARYA/ERGOS/Sammunati/Banks),
- Coordination with Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, GoI/SFAC for approval of DPRs and release of Grant in Aid to the state,
- Preparation of DPRs for development identified market yards and conducting preparedness exercise for e-NAM Integration,
- Facilitate the development of infrastructural facilities and services relating to various operations as per e-NAM operational guidelines,
- Identification and mapping of all the relevant stakeholders and regular consultations with them with an objective of collaboration and convergence for smooth integration of e-NAM,
- Pro-active recommendations/ suggestions for improving the marketing and value-addition ecosystem in the State of Bihar, from time to time.
- Post-Graduate Degree in Agriculture, Agri-Business Management, Rural Management, Agriculture Engineering, M.Sc.Agriculture from premier colleges (IIM-ABM, MANAGE, IRMA, XIM-B, or any other similar institutions.
Skills and expertise:
- Sound understanding of the agriculture sector in India and recent developments,
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in multiple Agri value chains, with a focus on postharvest management, value-addition, and marketing,
- Good understanding of Agri and digital technology and emerging and innovative agribusiness models, including AgTechs and MSMEs, that are transforming agriculture and allied services,
- Analytical abilities to analyze government policies, programs, and implementation strategies of government projects in agriculture,
- Proven experience working with government heads and senior bureaucrats.
- Excellent ability to work effectively with others in the team,
- Experience working with diverse teams,
- Experience in managing large teams and complex projects,
- Excellent client management, team management, and leadership skills.
- Excellent ability to prepare documents, reports, and presentations,
- Excellent writing and presentation skills,
- Excellent oral communication in English,
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, particularly senior government officials.
Other Soft Skills
- Self-motivated and driven,
- Passion to work for rural / agribusiness development areas,
- Abilities and proven experience to work in an unstructured / semi-structured environment.