Assistant Manager – Government and Social Impact
Interested in public policy? Want to improve the lives of the poor and underprivileged? Have a knack for consulting and research? Then this is the place for you! As an Assistant Manager, you will be part of a highly motivated and experienced team of consultants who work with governments across Asia and Africa to create impact through government policies related to social protection, technology, food security, agriculture, rural development, and urban development, among others. Join us!
Interested! Discover more!
The applicant must have deep expertise in the domain of social welfare subsidies, including food, fuel, and fertilizer subsidies. They should also be an expert in new sectors or capabilities that align with our aspirations, such as global development, public policy, economics, government advisory, digital technology for governance, among others.
As part of the Government and Social Impact (GSI) team at MSC, the Assistant Manager will work with governments, development agencies, donors, and other institutions to:
- Define, design, and improve strategy and public policy choices
- Execute research and study projects to gather evidence to improve the delivery of social welfare and development programs
- Assist in reengineering and digitizing processes to deliver efficient and targeted services and benefits
- Assist in conducting pilots and support the implementation
- Assist in monitoring and evaluating programs
You will also be responsible for collection and data analysis, write reports, blogs and articles. You will also be involved in business development and client relationship management.
- Support the development and submission of proposals to generate business,
- Author/ Co-author thematic publications to be developed from field experiences (Focus notes/Briefing notes),
- Actively engage in Marketing Activities and participate in Digital Media dialogues (blogs, discussion forums, etc.).
- Conduct ‘Quality of Delivery’/ Feedback assessments with team members after assignment execution in line with the quality control guidelines,
- Assist and support the development of other staff by providing guidance and advice where appropriate,
- Take ownership of self-development by acquiring skills, knowledge which adds value to the organization.
- Participate in assignment set-up and de-briefing meetings of assignments,
- Lead small and simple assignments under supervision,
- Execute assignments with the utmost diligence, attention to detail, and focus on quality,
- Seek guidance from colleagues when unsure,
- Support the process of report writing and data analysis,
- Develop linkages with the junior staff of the client to gather assignment-related information/data,
- Assist in the review of training courses delivered, research papers prepared, the curriculum developed, and technical assistance provided to clients,
- Contribute to the development of MSC’s toolkits and other publications.
- MBA or Masters in Public Policy, Public Health, Economics, Public Administration, Social Work, Rural Development, Agri-Business or related areas
- Other relevant professional qualifications as in line with areas of specialization.
Essential work experience:
- Experience in the development and social sector with a consulting firm, think tank, donor/ development agency, research organization, or government,
- Excellent communication skills, writing skills, presentation skills, research skills (primary and secondary), intellectual curiosity, and passion for the social and development sector,
- Experience in one or more of the following sectors – Food, agriculture, petroleum (LPG, fertilizer), rural development, women and child development, social protection, education, and energy,
- Experience in one or more of the following functional areas:
- Strategy and public policy design for social welfare programs,
- Social welfare program implementation,
- Social protection effectiveness evaluation,
- Process reengineering and digitization,
- Social welfare program design and direct benefit transfer,
- Financial inclusion,
- Public finance and expenditure,
- Monitoring and evaluation.
Skills and competencies:
- Ability to lead small assignments under supervision,
- Ability to build client relationships and contribute to business development,
- Strong attention to detail,
- Strong field orientation and proven interpersonal skills,
- Good spoken and written English,
- Proficient in Word and Excel.