Global Gender Lead
It is time for change! Finally, we see a growing recognition of the importance of gender-intentional development work to enhance and improve the socio-economic position of women. Join us in this mission – help us frame policy, strategy and operations in favor of women. Work with our teams and gender specialists across Asia and Africa to design and implement gender-intentional programs to accelerate change and justice. Travel widely, network extensively, be a catalyst for change.
Interested! Discover more!
The incumbent must have > 10 years’ experience of research and/or advisory projects on gender, much of it in developing countries. Experience of conducting gender strategy and policy analysis, sensitizing stakeholders on gender issues, mainstreaming gender, documenting success stories, and raising funds to support gender work.
The Global Gender Lead will oversee and coordinate gender intentional inputs and approaches in all MSC projects.
The Global Gender Lead will work with our Gender Specialist and will be required to develop frameworks and build concepts, add gender lens/concepts to all work done by MSC offices across Africa and Asia. S/he will work closely with the MSC teams/offices in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Senegal, Vietnam and Uganda, and the consultants they hire. This should, subject to COVID-19 realities, provide the opportunity for extensive travel.
The Global Gender Lead will work to raise the profile, develop strategic partnerships and disseminate the gender-related work of MSC through publications, networking, workshops, conferences, etc.
The Global Gender Lead will work with the Gender Specialist to develop business ideas/business opportunities, take-up prospective client interactions and execute/deliver on business/assignments. The Global Gender Lead will also review and add gender concepts into other non-direct gender work at MSC and do media promotions.
As part of the senior management team, the Global Gender Lead will advise and steer the organization’s work at both a strategic and operational level.
- Advise and steer the organization’s business strategy to ensure that it is gender intentional and responds to the latest information and insights on gender in international development.
- Provide gender frameworks/research insights to guide the strategic development of gender intentional design across all of the organization
- Creation of strategic partnerships on gender with (inter alia) think tanks, research institutions/ universities, NGOs, etc.
- Assist in identification, communication and negotiation of business opportunities
- Build relationships with existing and potential clients
- Take initiatives to develop and enhance communication with clients to strengthen client relationships
- Develop and submit concept notes and proposals to generate business
- Review proposals and concepts to ensure that they are gender intentional
- Represent MSC at conferences, workshops, etc.
- Author/Co-author thematic publications capturing innovative ideas /new trends, future of the sector, etc.
- Actively engage in marketing/promotion activities and participate in digital media dialogues linking MSC’s work and publications.
Human Capital Development
- Advise on gender strategy within the organization – at a strategic and operational level
- Build a high functioning cadre of international gender specialists
- Conduct “Quality of Delivery”/ feedback assessments with team members after assignment execution in line with quality control guidelines
- Provide in-house webinars, training and mentorship on gender
- Assist and support development of other staff by providing guidance and advice where appropriate
- Share knowledge with staff and create opportunities for mentoring.
- Assist (and occasionally lead) with the planning and implementation of key assignments to ensure that they are gender intentional
- Provide leadership on research design to meet international academic standards
- Lead assignment set-up and de-briefing meetings for allocated assignments
- Quality control training courses delivered, research papers prepared, curriculum developed and technical assistance provided to clients
- Conduct final quality control reviews of and sign off on reports/documents for delivery to clients
- Develop multiple knowledge products and lead marketing of gender collaterals
- Contribute to the development of MSC’s toolkits and other publications
- Masters in gender studies/public policy/development economics from a premier university
- Other relevant professional qualifications in line with areas of specialization
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required; French desired
- Ability to lead strategic planning
- Willingness to travel (post COVID)
- Proven interpersonal skills
- Proven leadership, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate diverse teams
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to develop client relationships and win business
- Proficient in excel, word and PowerPoint