Program Director will have prime responsibility of successful project planning and execution of JSPVAT in Bihar. He will simultaneously work towards development of strategies, services and projects to expand the business of the in Agri Business domain in MSC
Good understanding of agri and digital technology and emerging and innovative agri business models, including AgTechs and MSMEs, that are transforming agriculture and allied services.
Report to the Partner- Agri Business Consulting Domain, MSC.
Program Duration Five years, extendable.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The “Jeevika Special Purpose Vehicle for Agricultural Transformation (JSPVAT)” is a large program of MSC funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to support Jeevika in Bihar. The program has a focus on agri commodities, livestock, data systems and technology to transform the livelihoods of small farmers in Bihar. The first key objective of JSPVAT is to support JEEViKA to diversify and enhance household-level incomes, through farm and livestock livelihood opportunities, and to make progress towards sustainable farming among target households. The second key objective is to support in unlocking of government, the World Bank and private sector funds and resources to leverage and enable catalytic funding for agriculture and livestock value chain market linkage programs, to augment asset and resource base, supported by data system programs. Driving gender centrality and women’s empowerment will be the central and a cross-cutting objective of JSPVAT.
The Program Director will have the complete responsibility of managing and delivering on all aspects and components of the program.
Educational Qualifications –
Masters in Agri Business / Agri Marketing / Rural Development from Tier I institutes like IIMs, IRMA, MANAGE, NIAM, XIMB etc. – Under graduation preferably in Agriculture, Food Processing etc.
Desired Experience and Skills –
A minimum 15 years of experience in the following areas:
- Agriculture and allied services sectors with a significant focus on commodity marketing and food processing with leading value chain organizations.
- Working with farmer producer organizations and companies, supporting them in governance, strategy and business model development, planning, capacity building, market linkages, human resource and other organizational aspects.
- Management consulting services in agriculture and allied services sector, particularly to governments, public-sector organizations and to resource institutions of farmer producer companies (FPCs/FPOs).
- Proven experience of working on large agriculture and allied sector projects and managing senior level central/state government relationships.
- Proven experience of working with multilateral agencies and managing relationships.
-Demonstrated and proven experience with quantifiable results in the aforesaid areas, particularly in building marketing linkages and sustainable value addition opportunities for farmer collectives; and in executing similar interventions across agri commodities.
– Sound understanding and hands-on field experience in the complete lifecycle and value chains of agri commodities – particularly in staples and cash crops.
– Existing relationships with a range of institutional buyers and processors, along with an understanding of their businesses and requirements.
– Understanding of functioning of community institutions and farmer collectives, their strengths, weaknesses, requirements and so on.
– Good understanding of agri and digital technology and emerging and innovative agri business models, including AgTechs and MSMEs, that are transforming agriculture and allied services.
-Proven experience in managing similar programs.
-Experience of managing a large teams and complex projects.
-Excellent client management, team management and leadership skills.
-Proven experience working with government heads and senior bureaucrats in the Northern states.
-Excellent analytical skills.
-Experience of working in Bihar will be an added advantage.
-Excellent report writing skills.
-Excellent oral communication in Hindi and English.
-Ability and experience to work under semi-structured environment.
-Self-motivated and driven. – Passion to work for rural / agribusiness development areas.
A broad description of the role and responsibilities has been provided below: Program Director will have prime responsibility of successful project planning and execution of JSPVAT in Bihar. He will simultaneously work towards development of strategies, services and projects to expand the business of the in Agri Business domain in MSC. Following are the key expectations from this position:
1. Program Planning and Design:
- Preparation of detailed program plan based on the terms of reference of JSPVAT.
- Develop detailed work break down structure.
- Refining and expanding project metrics and results framework.
- Undertake program resource planning for all the work streams.
- Develop/refine program management structure and organization.
- Define roles, responsibilities and KRAs for team leads and team members.
- Lead overall program execution, guiding individual team leads and team members responsible for individual tasks.
- Lead and support the project team in the execution of the overall project responsibilities.
2. Strategy Formulation:
- Lead and support Jeevika in developing/enhancing their strategy and plans to diversify and enhance household-level incomes, through farm and livestock livelihood opportunities, and to make progress towards sustainable farming among target households.
- Lead the program to support Jeevika in its vision for transformative value chains, specifically, in the crop value chain interventions, demand driven diversification and market linkages, improved livestock market systems, enabled by digital technology and sectoral innovations.
- Development of a strategic eco-system for strengthening of community organizations in the agriculture and allied sector in Bihar.
- Development of a strategic convergence opportunities and plan for convergence across relevant interventions and schemes being implemented by different departments of the Government of Bihar in agriculture and allied sectors.
- Lead Jeevika to formulate and deliver inter-departmental convergent strategies to develop a conducive eco-system for incubation and operating of innovative ideas/start-ups/MSMEs in agriculture and allied sector.
3. Business and Financial Planning
- Lead the program team in conducting detailed diagnostic of the Jeevika FPCs and in developing extensive business and financial plans for them.
- Lead the program in developing suitable interventions to achieve the goals and targets as per the business plans.
- Lead the program teams in providing technical assistance and advisory services to the FPCs and the Jeevika to implement the business and marketing plans and associated interventions.
4. Market Linkages and Marketing Initiatives
- Lead and guide development and execution of value chain studies of Maize, Potatoes, Fox Nut, Lentils, Dry Vegetables etc. to identify various opportunities for market linkages and value addition by PGs and FPCs.
- Lead and guide development of marketing strategies and execution plans for each of the priority commodities for the community institutions.
- Support in identifying a range of institutional buyers, processors and intermediaries with business interests in the aforesaid commodities and associated value chains.
- Support in establishing relationships and long-term partnerships between these market participants and the community institutions promoted by BRLPS, driven by commercial interests and to create differentiation compared to competitors (e.g. traders / dealers).
- Provide leadership and direction to all the sub-components of the program related to market linkages, primary and secondary processing and other value addition opportunities.
- Guide, mentor and supervise the team lead responsible for market linkages and marketing initiatives.
- Specifically support the marketing team lead in developing a mature and sustainable eco-system of market participants and partners; formulation and execution of branding, marketing and communication strategies; other identified marketing interventions.
- Provide oversight and manage risks and challenges related to market linkages and market development on an ongoing basis during the program.
- Monitor inputs, outputs, outcomes and results on an ongoing basis to ensure alignment to stakeholder expectations and to the agreed program results framework.
- Provide leadership in organizing national level buyer-seller meets for exploring better market linkages opportunities for Jeevika FPCs capturing higher value for end beneficiaries
- Provide leadership to explore opportunities of promoting micro enterprises in identified value chains, prepare model DPRs and help Jeevika incubate high potential micro enterprises.
- Identify opportunities of digital interventions in market linkages, market information and market intelligence system and design suitable interventions for implementation by Jeevika
- Other associated roles and responsibilities.
5. Organization, Human Resource Systems and Governance
- Align the human resource (HR) structures, organization, systems and capacities for JEEViKA and for FPCs. This may include realignment and repurposing of human resources, refinement of KPIs, incentive structures and so on.
- Drive and support in implementing organizational and HR systems related recommendations and interventions to achieve the program outcomes.
- Provide leadership and direction to all the sub-components of the program related to human resources, organizational structure and systems and capacity development.
- Guide, mentor and supervise the team members and experts working on this work stream.
- Identify opportunities of digital interventions in human resource management and operations of Jeevika and FPCs, and design suitable interventions for implementation.
6. Compliance and Audit
- Provide leadership to develop processes and practices for required statutory compliance and audits of the FPCs.
- Ensure development of a framework to enable FPCs undertake required statutory compliance and audits on an ongoing basis with minimal external support in the medium term.
7. Institution Development, Training and Capacity Building
- Provide leadership for institution development, training and capacity building, and handholding support as required under the terms of reference of the program.
- Develop an institutional framework that Jeevika can leverage to mainstream learnings and ensure sustainability.
- Provide leadership and direction to all the sub-components of the program related to training and capacity building.
- Guide, mentor and supervise the team leads responsible for institution development, training and capacity building.
- Provide oversight and manage risks and challenges related to institution development, training and capacity building on an ongoing basis during the program.
- Monitor inputs, outputs, outcomes and results on an ongoing basis to ensure alignment to stakeholder expectations and to the agreed program results framework
- Other associated roles and responsibilities.
8. Program Management
- Develop Log Frame for overall program and ensure compliance on periodic basis in the due course of implementation.
- Provide leadership in identification and preparation of a comprehensive program level Risk Matrix.
- Provide leadership, mentoring and guidance on risk management and mitigation to various team leads, team members and experts working on individual program work streams and tasks.
- Undertake actions and take measures to ensure delivery of program deliverables as well as outcomes and results, while managing risks and uncertainties at all the stages of the program.
9. Team Management and Development
- Mentoring and coaching of team members with limited experience in agri sector consulting
- Undertake necessary people management activities – such as guiding and mentoring, issue resolution, performance management.
- Develop internal capacity building programs for overall development of internal project resources.
10. Relationship Management
- Manage relationships with leaders and senior management across multiple stakeholders of the project – including Jeevika, the World Bank, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Build a rapport and nurture relationships with other stakeholders and influencers to the program.
- Report to the Program Steering Committee on a periodic basis (at least monthly) to update on progress, seek necessary approvals and to discuss challenges, issues and risks.
11. Risk Management
- Lead the process of planning and management of risks associated with the program including the macro or micro landscape in Jeevika and in Bihar.
- Take a systematic approach to assess and manage risks while working in an ecosystem involving multiple state departments, stakeholders, schemes etc.
- Develop a responsive and flexible approach towards course correction to manage according to the set objectives, targets, outputs, outcomes and timelines.
12. Client Communication and Reporting
- Prepare plans, reports, presentations, updates and other deliverables as part of project reviews and management, as well as reporting to the client and to the steering committee.
- Lead and support the team in development of various reports and other communication material for client and other stakeholders.
- Other project management and reporting requirements as might be needed to support Jeevika.
13. Business Development
- Support in refining the long and short term vision and strategies for MSC’s Agri Business Consulting domain.
- Support in defining a suitable structure and eco-system for pursuing business development initiatives in MSC.
- Support in expanding a network base of various govt. / non-govt. potential clients.
- Lead generation in agriculture sector management consulting, preparing detailed proposals and converting leads into business.
- Leading business development in agriculture sector management consulting. Generate business through a mix of small and large projects.
- Lead capacity building programs for overall development of internal team to be involved in business development.
- Lead the process of developing/refining standard proposal templates, credential and so on needed for proposal development.